27 March 2010

Small world connections

I have a short story about a trip to Alabama. I was in Staples to buy photo printer supplies when one of the employees recognized me. We were both students at York Technical College. How weird, I thought. He had moved to Alabama to be with his girlfriend.

Well as life went on, I graduated from YTC and then moved to Houston to be near my fiancee. It didn't work out, and I moved back home 3 months later. Then I moved out of my parents' house and started a full time job at Zobo.tv. One night while sitting at Waffle House, I was reading a book when the guy I saw in Alabama came up to me and said hello. What are the chances of that? His relationship had also ended and he moved back home. Twice we bumped into each other, hundreds of miles apart.

So I was sitting at my friends Jay and Ashlie's house talking about home theaters not too long ago. Ashlie mentioned that Nicole's parents have a theater with the good theater seats and a projector system. Then she tells me that they live in my parent's neighborhood.

What a weird coincidence, I delivered seats to a home theater in the neighborhood a long time ago when I worked for Zobo.tv. As it turns out, I have met Nicole's step-dad when I dropped those chairs off. I haven't seen her to tell her about this yet, but I have thought about dropping by his place to watch some TV. I can't do that for a while though, as I'm in Denmark writing this post.

These sort of co-inky-dinks happen pretty often where I'm from. Our town has a population of around (60,000) so it is pretty small. It doesn't seem to happen that often here since Aarhus has a population of around 300,000 from what the locals tell me.

But there again, while I was in Qingdao, China I ran into some Canadians at the hostel where I was staying. It just so happened that this one cute Canadian girl and her classmates knew a Canadian friend of mine who studied Chinese with me back home.

Its a small world after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment